I haven’t done this in a while, but my mind gets cluttered with bits and pieces of random thoughts – hence the name of the site. And, due to my inability to review the movies I want to, I’ll be doing the ramblings more frequently.
To that end, here’s what’s been on my mind lately. You’ve been warned.
– After watching both the BBC series Sherlock and the 2011 film A Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (review forthcoming), I’m convinced that Hollywood should leave Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s masterpiece alone. The 2009 film was brilliant, but the 2011 sequel was a convoluted mess.
– I don’t mind a tropical climate, but I am not a fan of 100+ heat. I went to Birmingham last weekend and thought I was going to die from spontaneously combustion. I generally wouldn’t complain about such matters, but that was flat-out insane. I know a lot of people consider Birmingham to be hell, but it ain’t that serious.
– To that end, living in Lower Alabama for over eight years has almost completely obliterated my ability to drive defensively and aggressively. I almost got run off the road at least four times by speeding cars. Of course, there were no state troopers around, but if it were me doing the aggressive driving…
– Staying out of politics has helped me to realize how fucked up the political arena really is. It’s not a matter of discussing the issues anymore; it’s more about talking points. That, and money. Our next President will be chosen by whoever has the most money in their campaign – not what they can do for the American people.
– I’m not a fan of buying potato chips that were bagged. Why? Because they’re half air, and that’s being generous. I once bought a bag of chips that was mostly air…and potato chip crumbs. Sad thing is, as much as I’d like to complain about that, they’re following FDA guidelines – while giving consumers the shaft.
– I miss the tranquility of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sure, everything was commercial back then, but it didn’t affect me personally. Now? Thanksgiving is for me now what Christmas used to be: a way to spend time with family and friends…not to buy the newest toy that will be ignored in lieu of playing with the box.
That’s all I got – I think. If something else comes up, rest assured I’ll make mention of it with another post.